Dear Past, Current, and Future Students,
Whether it
is hello again or hello for the first time, I’d like to start off by sharing a
quick story with you. In the fall of my
8th grade year at Central Middle School in Plymouth-Canton Community
Schools, I completed a life map for one of my classes. In this map, I had to identify memorable and
“defining” experiences in my past as well as include goals I would like to
accomplish in the future. I ended up
saving this life map and stored it with other papers, projects, awards, and
artifacts in a box labeled “Amanda – School” in my parent’s basement. I recently went through this box and came
across my life map – what was once an assignment now became a time capsule of
sorts. I read over the goals I had
![]() |
| Ms. Raupp's 8th Grade Life Map |
Play basketball, sing in the choir
all four years of high school, and graduate with a high GPA – check! Attend and graduate from the University of
Michigan – check! Work at a latchkey
program in the Plymouth-Canton Schools throughout college and start substitute
teaching after graduation – check! This
is a little eerie…every goal that I had set for myself I actually
accomplished. I partly attribute this to
being goal-oriented and driven – when I set my mind to do something, I do
it! I am also a planner (for those of
you I taught in the past, you can attest to this). I like having a big picture in mind so that I
can be fully prepared for what lies ahead.
As I keep reading through my life
map, I did not get hired to teach in Plymouth-Canton. Instead, I landed in Livonia Public Schools
where I was able to teach in five schools over two and a half years of working
in the district. I was fortunate to work
with an amazingly talented staff whom I learned so much from and an awesome
group of students (for all of my former students reading this, you truly are
awesome!). I’m adding a scenic route to
my map; I will be moving to Hartland Consolidated Schools to teach this
upcoming school year (for my current students, I am look forward to discovering
how awesome you are!). As for further
down the road, who knows? I am at a
point now where I know myself well enough – both personally and professionally
– to be willing to accept the uncertainty of not knowing what lies ahead, but
learning to embrace the journey.
So at this point you are probably
asking yourself, “Why is Ms. Raupp sharing this with us?” (And if you are, that’s great – I want you to
keep asking “WHY?” for the rest of your life!)
Many people consider life to be a journey and I want to challenge you to
think of your time as a student as a journey.
Educator Ralph W. Tyler says, “Learning takes places through the
experiences which the learner has.” And
it is through my own personal journey that I can share how true that statement
is. I could watch my mom cook dinner
night after night, but didn’t learn how to cook myself until I got my hands
dirty and actually started cooking on my own.
I could watch my 10th grade math teacher go over countless
examples of factoring, but never have the confidence in my own skills to factor
until I had practiced on my own. I could
sit through hours of lecture in education courses in college and read textbook
after textbook about educational theories and what to do when teaching and what
not to do when teaching, yet I never actually learned what teaching truly
entails until I was able to experience teaching as a student teacher and later
on as a teacher. It took being thrown
into a classroom of my own for me to think and act like a teacher. I’ve learned that the best learning occurs
not through reading, watching, or listening – but through experiencing.
I am still learning to embrace this
philosophy in my personal life and professional life. As your teacher, I am going to make every
attempt to provide as many opportunities as I can for you to engage in learning
experiences that are appropriate for your skills, abilities, needs, and
interests that will in turn advance your knowledge base. Educational theorist John Dewey related
curriculum to a map: A map provides
direction to guide a student’s journey through school. My role as an educator is that of a
facilitator; I will plan lessons and activities that you will be able to
experience. I must admit that I feel I
let down some of my past students because I tended to exert a little too much
control. I wanted all of my students to
master an objective in a particular manner and frankly that is completely unrealistic
considering the diverse needs, strengths, and weaknesses of my students. I have learned (and am still learning) to
hand over more control to YOU. There are
many paths students can travel and still master a curricular objective. That is my promise to current and future
students: I am going to allow you to
jump into a lesson or activity without holding your hand every step of the
way. (After all, you’re not a little kid
anymore. But don’t panic, I’ll still be
there to provide support and advice.)
Through your own unique experiences, you will be drawn to topics that
will simply “click” for you. Other topics will frustrate you beyond
belief. But I want you to remember that
each experience you encounter as a student, whether positive or negative, will
guide you in learning how to learn – and that is truly a life skill.
Use these experiences to learn more
about yourself as a student and, more importantly, as a person. Just because you leave school, doesn’t mean
you are no longer a student (I still consider myself a student). Embrace learning experiences when they are
presented in your life. Feel free to use
the map that I’ve shared with you as a guide, but don’t be alarmed if
roadblocks appear and a detour is needed…sometimes a path less traveled leads
to a more rewarding and fulfilling experience.
Feel free to pursue your own paths on your journey; although uncharted
territory may be slightly nerve-racking and intimidating, look forward to the
places you’ll go and the people you’ll meet and know that you‘ll learn a lot
through each and every experience.
Wishing you all the best on your
own personal journey! To the students I
taught in the past, hope you enjoyed the time when our paths crossed. To my current and future students, looking
forward to being part of your educational journey – looking forward to the many
learning experiences that await us!
Best Wishes,
Ms. Raupp

Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteAs I read through your letter, I like how you demonstrated that detours in life were okay. You showed your students that you achieved the goals you set for yourself at an early age with hard work and determination. As well, not everything went as you planned for it to go but everything turned out okay! I feel that this is an extremely important trait. Many students today want instant gratification and do not plan for five, ten, or twenty years down the road much less next week! I have seen in most of my students that they give up after the first try or shut down if they do not get their way. They will not be able to function in society with this attitude. Any way life skills can be taught to the students, most often through personal anecdotes, can be beneficial and inspiring!
I love that you encouraged your students to “keep asking why.” So many students just take what is given to them because they do not want to go through the effort, or have the critical thinking skills, to think. As weird as that sounds, many of my high school math students lack logical reasoning skills. They could be working on a problem using small amounts of money and end up with an answer in the ten thousands of dollars! Immediately, the students should ask themselves “Why is my answer so big?” but the education system has taught students not to think for themselves.
Just the structure of multiple-choice tests gives students options to pick pre-thought-out answers: your answer is either A, B, or C – no more and no less. While students have to think about the answer they want to pick, they do not have to formulate a logical, supported, and correct answer on their own. Everything has been handed to them. So, when the answer they get when solving a problem is a thousand times larger than what it should be, the majority of students do not recognize it as incorrect because it was the answer they were given and they have not been taught how to challenge that answer.
The principal at my school has encouraged the teachers to always ask why in response to students. When a student gives an answer, the next thing a teacher should ask is why. This works for any subject area.
Continuing, experience is the best teacher. I like to call my students up to the front of the classroom to complete problems. This allows them to experience all the work it takes to solve a math problem, completely removed from the comfort of a friend’s help or a notebook. When they have to experience facing a problem on their own, and having to figure out how to solve the problem with all eyes watching, it forces students to prepare via studying. Too often, students passively watch or listen to their teachers and never get to experience what education is all about. Discovering new information comes with a great sense of pride and accomplishment that should always be a part of the learning environment school’s provide.
Marissa Hoffman