William H. Schubert, educational scholar, best encompasses
the ideal of curriculum when he wrote, “Curriculum, at its root, deals with the
central question of what is worth knowing, …experiencing, doing, and
being.” As I read through each piece of
text for this cycle, I kept returning to this statement. When I grapple with questions of “What skills
are most important for my students to learn?”
“Why is it important that I teach these skills?” “What order should I teach course concepts in
order to maximize student learning experiences?” and “What resources do I have
available and/or can I access to add to student learning experiences?” I’m contemplating the role of curriculum in
my teaching and my students’ learning.
I found myself relating to John Dewey’s metaphor of
curriculum providing a map that outlines students’ previous experiences and
provides a guide for future experiences.
A teacher can use a curriculum map to gain insight into what students
should have learned (skills, behaviors, etc.) and provide direction on what
students should learn in a particular course.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the more that I considered this
metaphor, I came to realize that thinking of curriculum as a map reinforces the
“one size fits all” view of education. I
know that a “one size fits all view” is unrealistic in a school environment as
our students are diverse in their abilities, skills, interests, and
motivations. For instance, when I taught
7th graders, those students who had attended the same elementary
school had access to the same academic resources within the same curriculum,
yet there were vast differences in the skill sets they entered my classroom
with. Technically, students were exposed
to the same curriculum, but they came away with different experiences with
course content (some had a very strong number sense, whereas others demonstrated
a strength in geometric principles).
Although a map may provide insight into a group as a whole, it does not
shed light on individuals – strengths, weaknesses, learning style, etc. Therefore, as educators it is important to
remember that while curriculum maps may be helpful in providing a general framework,
we need to insert the children as a key component in determining what should be
taught.
Dewey touches upon the divide between the child and the
curriculum. He highlights three areas of
divergence.
- The chasm between the narrow, personal world of a child and the huge, impersonal world of facts. (I would argue that this divide is decreasing in size due to the Internet’s power to break down barriers and allow for people to easily share ideas. Nevertheless, the chasm still exists.)
- Children consider their life as a whole experiences, whereas curriculum is divided into specializations (i.e. math, science, social studies, English, music, art, …)
- Children are concerned about the practical and emotional connections they can create, while curriculum is built upon the logical classification of facts.
As a math teacher, I really struggle with the first and
third divergences. How can I provide
learning experiences for students in a way that is relevant and meaningful to
their life? (Being able to address this
question will allow me to better be able to answer that all-too-famous student
question directed toward math teachers:
“When am I ever going to be able to use this???) This past year I had my Algebra 2 students
construct a rollercoaster during our unit on polynomials. Many of my students enjoyed this hands-on
learning activity as they worked in teams on applying math, physics,
architecture, and engineering principles.
Although I try to plan engaging learning activities for every lesson,
sometimes I don’t feel that I am narrowing the divide between my students’
experiences and interests and the subject matter. According to Sir Ken Robinson's TED Talk on Changing Education Paradigms, are these lessons doing
more bad than good?
Knowing that our students’ experiences should be a driving
force in shaping curriculum, should children have a say in making curriculum
decisions? That is, should our students’
interests and concerns shape what they learn in school? If so, to what degree? To pose a broader question: Who should be responsible for deciding,
“…what is worth knowing, …experiencing, doing, and being” – students, parents,
teachers, administrators, businesses, community members, politicians? And at what level should these decisions be
made – school, district, regional, state, or national? Understanding who the role players are in
making curriculum decisions is a gray area for me as I seek to gain a deeper
understanding of curriculum.
Regardless of who is responsible, those charged with the
great responsibility of curriculum development need to continually discuss,
evaluate, and reflect upon the underlying educational aims: What should the curriculum accomplish? Who benefits from the development of the
curriculum – the individual students or society as a whole?
As I reflect on the questions shared at the beginning of the
post, I know that “What?” and “Why?” go hand-in-hand in developing curriculum
and planning appropriate instruction to align with curricular objectives and
goals. It is only after I consider these
two aspects that I will be able to take subject matter and prepare instruction
that is within the range and scope of my students’ lives.
Hey Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI also felt very drawn to the metaphor of a map provided by Dewey, however, I interpreted it in a slightly different way. To me the map is a metaphor for providing just the curriculum, just the facts, in a disjointed and subject specific way. Dewey says that the map is all of the specific information the world knows about a subject that children have access to in order to help them navigate and build their understanding as they move through that space. The key here is that reading the map is not enough. For example, just because I have seen a map of the United States doesn’t mean I have seen and understand the United States. I have to actually go on the road trip using the map to develop a rich experience of the Rocky Mountains or Great Plains. This to me is the true curricular challenge in Dewey’s metaphor; he asks teachers to take on a much more child centered, experiential approach to education. He asks us as teachers to bring the map to the child’s trip, rather than planning the trip based on the map we have.
While I absolutely love this metaphor and think it would be an incredibly impactful way to teach, I also recognize that it feels pretty close to impossible. How does one meet the learning desires of all the individual children in a classroom? What happens if a child isn’t interested in taking a trip to learn to read or about the Civil War? Do we let them simply skip that part of a well rounded education? Which brings me back to your questions, “What should the curriculum accomplish? Who benefits from the development of the curriculum – the individual students or society as a whole?” To these musings I pose additional questions, assuming the curriculum does serve society, does society need everyone to know about the Civil War? Algebra? Foreign Languages? If yes, then great that’s what we are doing, but if no then why are we pushing these skills so hard? Does the established curriculum value skills because someone, somewhere thinks they should be important, or are they actually crucial life skills?
I might venture to argue that the critical life skills for each individual child will inevitably be met on their own educational journey so long as someone is there to show them a map. The paths they don’t choose to take may simply not be critical to their lifelong learning and development. However, in order for this model to be realistic for the map maker and carrier is to significantly reduce class sizes in order to allow teachers to provide individual maps to each child as they need it on their own journeys. Sadly, I am extremely confident that such an ideal does not meet the economic needs of society as it would be exceedingly expensive to use such a model.
Thank you for your insightful post, pushing me to rethink and play with Dewey’s metaphor.
Kelly
Kelly - Thanks for sharing your interoperation of Dewey's metaphor. I agree that "reading the map is not enough." Students need to be active and engaged while learning and it is the teacher's responsibility to provide meaningful and relevant experiences for students to engage in and learn from. You mention the difficulty of working with students who are not motivated to learn. Do we allow students to choose another path to pursue? Or do we gently nudge them toward a certain path because they will need to engage in those experiences for later in their life? While I don't think there is a definitive answer, it is definitely worth considering these questions as we think about the role of curriculum in a students' educational experience.
ReplyDeleteDear Amanda,
ReplyDeleteLet me start by expressing the fact that you ask a great deal of important questions about curriculum in your post, of which I unfortunately do not have all the right answers to. I imagine that these are the questions that weigh heavily on the minds of every educator. However, as I read through your post, I appreciated your position on curriculum when you stated that “our students’ experiences should be a driving force in shaping curriculum," and, “we need to insert the children as a key component in determining what should be taught.” As a preschool teacher, I whole-heartedly agree with that notion and repeated much of that stance in my own post. However, your post also made me reflect on who should make the decision about considering and teaching with a child's interest in mind. As you stated, should this be the student themselves, parents, teachers, administrators, policy-makers, or others? I came to the conclusion that this hefty task lies with the teacher. Just like a survivalist takes a look at what tools and resources they have around them to survive with, teachers need to take a look at all the different pieces of curriculum that are laid out for them to teach (or survive, lol), and then decide how they can make it meaningful to their students. It should also be noted that when looking at your “survival gear” (curriculum), you are not stranded alone! Teachers need to use other teachers as a valuable resource. Every teacher has discovered strategies and techniques that have worked well when teaching from their curriculum. These should not be locked up in the mind of one teacher alone, but instead shared with other teachers in their grade, building, district, or even on their blog.
In my preschool class, I obviously have a set curriculum which needs to be followed, but I have wiggle room to step outside the box and add my own twists to the curriculum I teach as well. I think that this should be the goal of every teacher in order to meet the diverse needs of our students. Dewey states that, “It is he and not the subject-matter which determines both quality and quantity of learning”. Teachers must consider the student as the motivating force for curriculum. I understand that this perception can be trickier for some teachers than others. As I am sure you know, standardized testing also throws another log on the massive fire as well. I fortunately do not have to worry about this aspect of education yet. Although, I can see this changing in the future as well!
In my opinion, curriculum should be engaging, hands-on, and contain collaboration elements between peers. I really enjoyed your lesson on teaching children by using the hands-on rollercoaster activity which taught across content areas. I believe these are the types of strategies that can cement lifelong skills and education with our students. The “rollercoaster” type lessons are those that children will remember long after graduation. Students will also be more motivated to learn when it is fun and appealing to them.
You mention in your post about Dewey’s three areas of divergence with the child and the curriculum. If we as educators go the extra mile to turn our curriculum and lessons into profound ideas that make important connections and peak the interests of children, then we can break that barrier of divergence and turn insignificant facts into relevant education for our students. I would even go as far as to say that allowing students to work collaboratively in groups with tasks or projects is a first step that teachers can make in their classroom in order to facilitate what Dewey says are “personal and whole experiences” and allow them to make “practical and emotional connections”. Humans are social by nature. Children are the best example of this feature. I think Dewey would agree with this idea as he states, “Learning is active”.
Dear Amanda,
ReplyDelete(This is the rest of my response. It was too large to publish as one.)
I went back and reread The Child and The Curriculum by Dewey today, and feel like I have grasped his concepts even more the second time around. As a result, I will end this post by asking you to digest Dewey’s work once more, as I believe that we both agree on his theories as they relate to the guiding questions this week about curriculum. Keep up the good work Amanda! :)
1. “The child is the starting-point, the center, and the end. His development, his growth, is the ideal. It alone furnishes the standard.” (p. 107)
2. “Development does not mean just getting something out of the mind. It is the development of experience and into experience that is really wanted”. (p. 114)
3. “They (children) must operate, and how they operate will depend almost entirely upon the stimuli which surround them and the material upon which they exercise themselves.” (p. 114)
Works Cited:
John Dewey. (2001). The Child and the Curriculum. In The school and society & The child and the curriculum (pp. 103-123). Mineola, NY: Dover Publications, Inc. (Original work published in 1902)
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post! What a lot of amazing conversation it generated! How cool!!
I really love that you dug into Dewey here. He is a favorite of mine and so seeing you engage with this difficult text (and then your motivation for Sarah to engage and re-engage Dewey) was so satisfying. Here are just a couple of thoughts that came into my mind while reading your post.
1) The map! I think you have it right and I think Kelly has it right. When I teach this text in my doctoral course, we spend a lot of time on this metaphor. Each time I see something new in it. So great you are engaging it. Of course, "showing" students the map absent experience with the terrain is a losing proposition. As if reading a map (which any smart young child can do) equals the ability to undertake a twenty-mile back country hike! And, as if reading the map were a real preparation for the ability to do so! And, as if reading the map were a good way to motivate anyone to want to make this hike!
However, Dewey has a place where he says, essentially, that it is the map which allows the teacher to see "the real child." That's on the part where he says that the teacher needs to know well the art of Corot and Raphael in order to recognize the potential in the scribblings of an infant. The scribbles of my two-year old might never develop beyond that if it were not for teachers showing her how to direct and develop those scribbles into (and beyond) the art of the past. Same with speech. Babies babble, but it is Shakespeare (and others) that reveal to us the potential in those sounds. Curriculum is a tool for the teacher that brings past, present and future into view: the human race's past, the child's present, and the society that the child will live with in the future. The map is for the teacher.
2) Interest. As I was reading your question about whether or not it should guide curriculum development, I had one of those "ah ha" moments and I said, "it already does." Interest is always there and it is always guiding curriculum (properly understood as that which the child pays attention to in her environment). So we can either work from a correct understanding of how learning happens (interest is part of the curriculum, like it or not) or we can make more problems for ourselves.
I'm not a person who worries about whether or not kids get common knowledge. Like Noddings says, we already teach this stuff and it's already clear they don't leave school with common knowledge. So why worry about it?
Great post! Glad to have you in class again!
Kyle