My cycle two post began with, “I consider schools a
mini-society within the larger society in which we live,” and this statement
serves as a great starting point for my cycle three post. John Dewey, an educational reformer, put
forth the idea that a school can and should be more than a habitat for learning
lessons that will have some remote relation to students’ futures, “…it gets a
chance to be a miniature community, an embryonic society.”
At the embryonic stage, schools have the potential for
further development to provide quality and meaningful educational experiences
for students by engaging all members in the community to work toward a common
goal. To engage students in the
community – to be active and engaged members – a transition needs to occur that
shifts the role of students from “listeners” to “workers.” Many traditional classrooms are set up in a
way so that students passively absorb knowledge transmitted from the teacher. Instead, students should be placed in
educational contexts where discovering knowledge is the norm. It is only when students are motivated to
learn and knowledge can be applied to their real-life that they will be able to
positively contribute to the overall well-being of the community at school and
the community at large. Teachers can
facilitate this transformation of student roles by being “knowledge workers,”
engaging in reflective teaching practices, working collaboratively with
colleagues and students, and keeping the students as the “center of gravity” in
the classroom.
Many of the readings assigned for this cycle suggested
approaches to further developing and nurturing communities in schools. Small learning communities is one way to
build rapport among students and between teachers and students. From personal experience as a member of Team
B in 6th grade, I know full well the advantages of being a student
in a small learning community. Central
Middle School, housing approximately 1,200 6th – 8th
grade students, was three stories tall and intimidating to incoming students. Add in that there were five elementary
schools feeding into Central Middle School and that was enough to make the
transition into 6th grade uneasy at best and terrifying at
worst. Luckily, with the help of my four
awesome team teachers, I connected to the school and my peers relatively
quickly. All Team B students were
contained to the second floor of the building for academic classes, traveled to
classes together, and ate lunch together.
Team B teachers worked with the same group of 120 students every day and
had common planning time. Looking back,
I am glad Central Middle School used small learning communities to ease the
transition of students into middle school; otherwise, I feel I would have had a
more isolated learning experience.
Teachers can also suffer in isolation in schools, which may
explain why 40% - 50% of teachers leave the profession in the first five years of their career. To combat this,
schools need to take action to promote collaboration and support among its
faculty. Every new teacher in the
district where I work is assigned a mentor teacher for their first three years
of their teaching tenure. My mentor is
fabulous!!! She showed me the ropes when
I first got hired in and over the past two years we have had many conversations
about curriculum, teaching practices, classroom management, and working with
parents. She has been so supportive and
is always there for me when I have questions or need to vent! I know she has impacted me and I hope to have
influenced her on a professional level as well.
Even though she technically won’t be my mentor next year, I would like
to think our professional friendship and support for each other will continue.
To counteract the isolation both new and veteran teachers
can encounter, Ann Lieberman and Lynne Miller discussion professional learning
communities (PLC’s) to deal with issues of course content and the process of
teaching. They defined PLC’s as,
“…collegial cultures where teachers develop the capacity to engage in honest
talk.” It is in PLC’s that teachers can
discuss, debate, and reflect on their teaching practices. For PLC’s to be most effective, Lieberman and
Miller claim that reflective practices should be guiding discussions in order
to promote “reciprocal, practical, active” learning among colleagues. They also emphasize the importance of
embracing conflict (when and if it occurs) as it shows that an illusion of
consensus does not exist as it does in pseudo-communities.
I believe PLC’s can be beneficial in building and
contributing to a community within a school.
My only experience of working in PLC’s was for about four months when I
first got hired. The teachers did not
utilize PLC’s in an effective manner to positively contribute to the community
of teachers. I would be interested in
engaging in PLC’s in a setting laid out by Lieberman and Miller as I feel it
would be a more powerful and meaningful experience.
With each of these suggested approaches, the community within
schools is going to further develop only if the implementation of these
approaches is carefully examined through inquiry. What works for one school may not work for
another; what works for one student may not work for another. Action research may play a significant role
in any changes made within a classroom, school, or district as students,
educators, administrators, and parents work together in developing the community. It is when we work together that a community
flourishes!
Amanda,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post. Your middle school experience sounds very similar to my own. The incoming 6th graders at my junior high were split in two groups, The Wild Wolves and Incredibles. We had the same 4 core teachers every year and I think that was critical to our success. My group of students and teachers became incredibly close. It was a true family and community. My peers and I used to call our history teacher ‘Mom.’ She was so nurturing and passionate about our success. We felt so close to her. It was evident to us that she not only cared about us but cared for us. Our teachers set the tone for us. They demanded respect and critical thinking from us no matter the subject or content matter. Our embryonic community helped ease the transition between schools and puberty. Junior high is always a tough time but it didn't seem so hard with our family of 124 supporting us.
High school wasn't blocked in this fashion but I was in all honors and AP classes so that became our small community. The atmosphere in these classes was very different from general courses and I always felt out of place in general classes. That upset me and that led to me researching about the injustices between honors, general and special education classes. I always wished that we were able to blend more with our peers in the other classes. I thought it would benefit us all. I think more often you find these special communities within classrooms but not school wide. A true school community would be nice. I would like to see the flow throughout the entire school.
This cycle’s readings and your blog were really thought provoking. When I think of these embryonic communities, I don’t really think about the relationships between teachers, administration and other staff. In my district, we also have teacher mentors. My high school science teacher is currently my mentor and I could not ask for a better one. It is so great to be able to discuss day to day issues with someone who has lived them. It prevents that lonely and overwhelmed feeling that sets in sometimes. PLC’s can be great to build continuity within a school. Teachers are able to express themselves, share ideas and advice. Lieberman and Miller’s discussion on PLC’s really got me brainstorming on how to get this type of work environment. I would like to reduce the high turnover rate for teachers in my school and I think it comes from not being familiar with the environment, coworkers and the culture of school.
Action research is very important in figuring out what works in your learning setting. I think I am going to have to start a new project for my learning setting. I really enjoyed reading your post and I hope this semester has been smooth for you. Have a great week.
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your great post!
You hit on several amazing points that I think are well worth thinking about. First is just this simple notion that knowledge needs application--or as Dewey says, knowledge is always in response to a felt social need. Knowledge was in the first place an experience for someone trying to solve a problem, trying to respond to something in the environment. Later, we take that experience, take it out of its life context, organize it with other experiences in a logical fashion, and call it knowledge. Teaching helps reconnect knowledge back to experience. But our current reform movement seems to want to stop at the knowledge part--just trusting that children will naturally know how to apply what they learn. I'm afraid I don't share that optimism. Application is something we also need to learn how to do!
You are absolutely right to point to the crisis in teacher retention. In fact, I was just reading through a blog link about Success Academies in NYC. They have some of the highest test scores in the City but they come at the cost of very high teacher turnover. This raises fascinating questions about what we are doing. Maybe it doesn't matter--maybe we teachers are an expendable resource that schools can burn through in order to get the most of out of us? Maybe, because of relatively low barriers to entering the profession (compared to law or medicine) this is how teachers get weeded out?
But I don't think so. I can't but help think we are shooting ourselves in the foot by treating teachers as expendable commodities? What implicit messages to kids learn by having their teachers cycle in and out of their lives like that? Will this be good for their development into the adults of the future?
You sounded your most Deweyan when you ended your post with the call for inquiry. That, says Dewey, is the means by which any program of reform (or, as he might call it, social adjustment) must be enacted. Ultimately, what we are doing is trying to bring out environments under control. Since the environments we live in are constantly changing, so must our actions. But how to change except through a program of inquiry that lets us understand the context we are acting in and the consequences (intended and unintended) that we are bringing about?
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Great post!
Kyle