I consider schools a mini-society within the larger society
in which we live. There are individuals
that group themselves (and sometimes find themselves being grouped by others)
based off their roles within that mini-society and their backgrounds, abilities,
skills, and interests. This grouping is
a natural process and provides an individual with an identity. The goal of a teacher is to work with
students from different groups and build a cohesive unit – a community – with
the intent of learning with and learning from others. This can be challenging to create, but
rewarding to experience.
Students naturally place themselves into groups within the
mini-society of school. These groups can
sometimes create barriers that prevent the growth of a community in the
classroom. Erin Gruwell, a high school
English teacher in Long Beach, California, faced this issue with her students who came from
different racial and ethnic backgrounds.
She was able to forge a bond among students by forcing them to realize
the individual commonalities that tied the students’ lives together. Erin Gruwell’s students pursued a common
academic learning goal that could only be attained with the support of every
individual in the class. Her efforts led
to an environment of social support that furthered the community within that
classroom and her story (known as FreedomWriters) demonstrates how important a bond is among members in a
community. Erin Gruwell’s story is
important to learn from. Respect is the
foundation to building a bond in a community.
I spend a lot of time discussing respect with my students – what it
means, what it looks like, what it doesn’t look like – and demand respect in my
classroom.
For success to be achieved in a community of learners,
students need to feel comfortable in the learning environment to work with
others and take chances (because students may fail, but they should know they
have the support of their classmates to try again). Johnson credits this social support as one
advantage of using cooperative groups in the classroom. I tend to use informal cooperative learning
groups frequently in my classroom.
Sometimes these informal groups follow a “think, pair, share” format and
other times these groups are used to promote reflection at the conclusion of a
lecture. After learning about base
groups, I hope to be able to utilize this setting of cooperative learning
groups in the future to further promote the bond of students in the classroom
community.
Interestingly, students do not always choose their group
status in the mini-society of schools.
Tracking – sorting students into groups to take certain kinds of classes
– is an occurrence in many schools that categorizes students based on academic
skills and abilities. (Although Oakes
questions whether a student’s race and socioeconomic status don’t play a role
in tracking.) Tracking is based on the
assumption that “students learn better when grouped with other students who are
considered to be academically similar” (Oakes, Ch 1). Research actually shows that students generally don’t learn better in homogenous groups.
In my teaching career, I have had experiences teaching
groups of gifted students, regular students, and low-ability students. I hate to admit that I have planned different
educational experiences for my gifted students than for my other students. Tomlinson and McTighe argue that ALL students
should experience meaningful curricula.
As I move forward in my career, I will pursue this goal, regardless of
my student’s ability level, by providing meaningful educational experiences in
the classroom to all of my students. I
can attain this by providing differentiated opportunity in the classroom. To best differentiate, I need to know my
students – their abilities, strengths, weaknesses, interests, learning
styles…in essence, what makes them “tick.”
In the past, I have begun each academic term by having students fill out
a personal learning inventory to get a snapshot of who they are as a
student. The best way I get to know my
students on a personal level is through everyday conversations in which we
build relationships that add to the classroom community. Once I know my students, I can place them in
cooperative learning groups to engage in course work that is (appropriately)
challenging as Schemer suggests.
A perceived negative of differentiated instruction is the
extra work required by teachers in designing tiered activities and lessons. I
can personally attest to this. One of my
classes this school year has such a wide spectrum of student abilities that I
was at a loss for the first month as to I could maintain academic rigor
required of the course without setting students up for failure. I began utilizing a universal design during
planning stages in an attempt to help all learners in the classroom. I often make modifications to assignments for
my lower-ability level learners while providing extensions for my higher-level
ability learners. Although it is more
work for me, each student is provided with an appropriately challenging
learning task they can accomplish successfully.
I’ve discovered that success in the course leads to improved attitudes
displayed by students and as a result the community of learners grows. In my mind, the extra time and work on my end
is well worth benefiting the classroom community as a whole.
Hi Amanda! I really enjoyed reading your post and appreciated your style of writing. It was relaxed and not loaded with teacher speak. The reader can see your dedication to both your profession and most importantly the students you respect. The one disappointment I read in your introduction was that you were a UM grad/sports fan. So is my wife, but as Kyle said to you, I also really respect both Beileine and Harbaugh as coaches.
ReplyDeleteIn my post, I mostly addressed Oakes perceived notions of perceived proper teaching strategy and then followed that up with the truth that many of us, including myself at times, don’t always practice. For example: Oakes says the first notion is that “students learn better when they are grouped with other students who are considered to be like them academically” (Oakes, 6). Statistically this has proven to be false. Though likely not obliterating their proficiency, but more likely creating an atmosphere of good or acceptable based on the average. The difficult part as teachers is creating differentiated instruction for students of varying abilities in one classroom. My sense is that you have done an excellent job of creating great instructional practices for everyone. You know their capabilities while allowing them all to reach their individual success by “make(ing) modifications to assignments for my lower-ability level learners while providing extensions for my higher-level ability learners.” You acknowledge that this is tremendous amount of work, but “the extra time and work on my end is well worth benefiting the classroom community as a whole.” Bravo!
Another interesting approach you start the year with is passing out sheets to gather information to see what makes them “tick.” I love how you are interested in them as a human and curious about their interests. I do this same practice and with note cards and usually ask their sports, hobbies, family situation and 1 interesting fact. After reading over these, I try to make at least one comment to them in person in the coming weeks that shows them that I read their note card and am interested in them as a unique individual. Where you do a better job them me, is pairing them with others of common interests, but not necessarily common abilities and “place them in cooperative learning groups to engage in course work that is (appropriately) challenging as Schemer suggests. “ With your psychological background (minor in Psychology), I can see you thriving in this ability, to see the student’s minds and understand their needs. You also do an excellent job of building your community by using the think-pair-share methodology in teaching. From my experience, students can build trust with their peers, gain confidence to discuss important matters in groups and in public settings and gain ownership of their academic learnings. I personally struggle incorporating this teaching method on a consistent basis, but I am not fully sure why? Maybe I like to be the “sage on the stage,” or I have difficulty giving up authority and maybe I am just nervous that the lesson will fail without my structured involvement. Whoa, maybe I too am nervous of failure in school. See, Amanda, you just taught me something! Admittedly, I think most educators both young and old know what good teaching truly looks like, they just don’t have the passion, energy or time to do it day in and day out. You seem to have the passion and energy and recognize the constraints of time, but try your hardest to make it work.
Part 2:
ReplyDeleteQuestions for you that may be rhetorical?
1. Do the students with lessened modifications know they have lessened material and vice versa? If so, do they: like, dislike or impartial?
2. Does a student with lessened material have a chance to graduate to more expected material and does a student with more material have the potential to be lessened?
3. You seem like you are in a great building(s) and district. Is all of your teaching methods universal for any district, or would you consider other strategies if you were not in an ideal district.
Thanks for letting me comment and I really enjoyed your post. Have a great spring, whenever it get's here!
Regards, Ross
Thanks for your thoughts Ross! I enjoyed reading your comments and agree with a lot of the points you bring up.
DeleteTo address a few things you brought up in your post before I attempt to answer your questions…
"Think, pair, share" can be really informal. It's definitely not something to be intimidated by! Sometimes the whole process just takes a few minutes and then you can be front and center again.
I discussed respect a lot in my post and I truly do value it in my classroom. You brought up a great point in that students often enjoy classes and like teachers where respect is is modeled on a consistent basis. Most student complaints about teachers that I've heard often result from a student's perceived lack of respect by the teacher.
Now to answer your questions…
1. I often incorporate "extensions" onto homework assignments which allows students an opportunity to challenge themselves with the material. if they feel they have adequate understanding of the concept and skill set. There are just a handful of students with lessened modifications. They know they are receiving these modifications and I've found a lot of them like receiving these modifications because they find the quantity of the original assignment too overwhelming/some of the problems would be very difficult for them to be successful in completing because they don't have the background skills. I try to be discreet as to not draw attention to modifications I make to these students.
2. Great question! I think this is crucial because students can fluctuate based on topics taught within the course. (For example, in my Geometry course, some students are really strong at formula base calculations associated with surface area and volume while other struggle with trigonometry…while this might be vice versa of another student.) I usually accomplish this by providing "extensions" onto homework assignments, which provides any student an opportunity to grade to advance material.
3. Honestly, each academic setting requires something different from teachers and often dictates teaching methods incorporated into the classroom. This year I have learned to modify a lot more due to the students I'm working with at the career technical school in the district. I have a huge disparity in academic backgrounds and skills within the one classroom (more than I've ever experienced as a teacher in other buildings within the same district!), so I've had to rely on UDL to try and reach as many students as I can.
Whoops: This part goes after part 1 and before part 2...sorry
ReplyDeleteThe last thing I would like to applaud you on is that you model “respect” in your classroom settings. You say “respect is the foundation to building a bond in a community. I spend a lot of time discussing respect with my students – what it means, what it looks like, what it doesn’t look like – and demand respect in my classroom. I agree and from my experience, students most appreciate the classes and teachers that model respect consistently. Thus, we must respect all of our students enough to not mingle them in a herding fashion that is convenient for us, but often detrimental to many. We must respect their humanity and embrace their quirks and inadequacies so that they are not rounded down.
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your work here and the wonderful dialogue it brought about with Ross. Good stuff!
I think you hit a lot of things right on the head here. First off, I should say that I, too, have always been so taken with the idea of the school as a societal microcosm. This, indeed, is the theme of the Dewey reading for cycle three. If we take that notion seriously, I think we are better positioned to appreciate all the diverse talents that kids bring to school and find ways to employ them.
Because this leads into your second great--and perhaps most challenging point--that in order for a community to form, the diverse talents of the classroom have to pursue, at least part of the time, a common learning goal, to which they all need to contribute. You actually put it so much better than that: Erin Gruwell’s students pursued a common academic learning goal that could only be attained with the support of every individual in the class. It's that "common" and "every" that really matter to me.
Too often, I fear that school because about everyone doing their own thing, each person trying to build up the best resume for themselves. Obviously, in some classrooms, my score on a test has nothing to do with your test score. I can succeed, you can fail, and our efforts are not in any way tied together. I see you aiming for something much higher. The type of common work that can only succeed when all succeed.
Now that is really tricky to pull off. And certainly we can't do it all the time. But I think the best teachers build a sense of community that says "we're all in this together." They create projects that have multiple ways for students to contribute. They give assignments that have real-world value and consequences--students actually building or doing something, like in the Emily Pilloton example. They use the knowledge and skills of the curriculum as means to a larger social end. This is what my ideal school microcosm looks like, and I think you just nailed it on the head!
I appreciate the way you differentiated assignments. I think it must be a lot harder in math. In social studies (which was my main subject as a teacher), Ross and I can give assignments with lots of different options and parameters. We can build a certain amount of customization into the very process. We can guide students as they choose, but ultimately we can put more of the differentiation process in their hands. And it's not so much about hard/middle/easy work, but about different skill sets and different platforms as gateways to similar learning outcomes.
UDL is great in that regard. But at the end of the day, as you note, it is to a certain degree about living out respect. Respecting everyone in the community, valuing their voices and experiences, and believing that they have something to contribute.
Thanks for a great post!
Kyle